Stress from work isn’t uncommon, but when left unchecked, it can lead to bigger problems like depression and anxiety. When this happens, stress not only creates debilitating negative emotions, but it can affect your relationships with coworkers, personal life, and overall wellbeing.
What Contributes to Mental Health Problems at Work?
Some of the common factors that can contribute to people’s mental health problems at work include:
- Inflexible work schedules
- Lack of support from management
- Lack of clarity about work tasks or organizational objectives
- Poor managerial communication
- Unsafe or toxic work environments
Signs Your Job is Affecting Your Mental Health
Some signs that your job could be affecting your mental health include:
- Changes in your sleep patterns
- Constant feelings of worry about performance and outcomes at the office
- You find yourself avoiding conversations/socializing at work
- You’re quick to snap at a coworker or a boss over a small issue
- You often find it difficult to relax at home
- Your self-care is declining
- You are experiencing anxious feelings frequently
- You are fearful of getting fired
Learning to Cope
You may not be able to control certain events during work hours or the characteristics of your workplace environment. However, what you do have control over is how you choose to cope. Most importantly, finding time to relax, spending time with friends and family, and engaging in activities that will shift your focus away from work during non-work hours.
If you find that you are still experiencing distressful symptoms and that they are interfering with your functioning, it may be a good idea to speak to a therapist who can help you learn additional strategies for coping.
Find help at Morningsong Therapy
If you or someone you love struggle with Work Issues, discover the world of difference treatment can make for you and your loved ones. Life does not have to be a daily struggle. We're here to help!
Call Morningsong Therapy at (612) 400-9685 or use the button below to request an appointment and get the help you need. Virtual sessions are also available for your convenience.
*Morningsong Therapy is listed as Minneapolis location.